HC Deb 21 May 1963 vol 678 cc26-7W
Mr. Critchley

asked the Minister of Labour what arrangements exist for travel allowances to be paid between their homes and places of new employment for workers declared redundant.

Mr. Whitelaw

Unemployed persons who transfer to employment beyond daily travelling distance may receive a free fare for the initial journey under the Ministry's Resettlement Transfer Scheme. Men with dependants may also receive three assisted fares a year to pay home visits and free fares for their families to join them in the new area.

Workers who are not eligible under the Transfer Scheme and are going to employment at a distance from their homes may apply for an advance of the cost of the fare.