§ Mr. Stodart
asked the Secretary of State for Scotland what proposals he has for reviewing the organisation of the sheriff courts in Scotland.
§ Mr. Noble
It is my intention to set up, as soon as possible, a Committee of Inquiry with the following terms of reference
and to report.
- (1) to inquire into the appropriate function of the sheriff court in the administration of the civil and criminal law of Scotland, and to consider its constitution and jurisdiction in relation thereto;
- (2) to consider the number and distribution of sheriff courts;
- (3) to inquire into the present organisation, practice and procedure of the sheriff court;
- (4) to inquire into the existing rights of appeal from the decisions of the sheriff court in civil and criminal cases;
- (5) to consider what changes, if any, might be desirable with respect to any of the said matters in order to secure the more speedy, economical and satisfactory dispatch of civil and criminal business;
I am glad to say that the Lord Justice Clerk, the right hon. Lord Grant, has agreed to serve as Chairman. I hope to announce shortly the names of the other members.