§ Mr. Pavitt
asked the Minister of Health if he will give the number of deaths from leukaemia for each of the last 10 years in England and Wales, and Scotland.
§ Mr. Powell
The information is as follows:
Terms of Reference
- 1. To invite from the manufacturer or other person developing or proposing to market a drug in the United Kingdom any reports they may think fit on the toxicity tests carried out on it: to consider whether any further tests should be made, and whether the drug should be submitted to clinical trial; and to convey their advice to those who submitted reports.
- 2. To obtain reports of clinical trials of drugs submitted thereto.
- 3. Taking into account the safety and efficacy of each drug and the purposes for which it is to be used, to consider whether it may be released for marketing, with or without precautions or restrictions on its use; and to convey their advice to those who submitted reports.
- 4. To give to manufacturers and others concerned any general advice they may think fit on the matters referred to in paragraphs 1–3.
- 5. To assemble and assess reports about adverse effects of drugs in use and prepare information thereon which may be brought to the notice of doctors and others concerned.
- 6. To advise the appointing Ministers on any of the above matters.
Members other than those named in reply to the hon. Member's Question of 16th May
- Professor E. F. Scowen.
- Professor G. M. Wilson.
- Professor O. L. Wade.
- Professor W. W. Mushin.
- Dr. R. A. J. Asher.
- Dr. E. V. Kuenssberg.
- Dr. F. Hartley.
- Mr. T. C. Denston.