HC Deb 10 July 1963 vol 680 c141W
15. Sir J. Duncan

asked the Secretary of State for Scotland what arrangements local police authorities can make for compensation to civilians injured in the course of assisting the police; and whether he will introduce legislation to improve these arrangements.

Mr. Noble

Under the Police (Scotland) Act, 1956, a police authority may pay rewards to civilians who have substantially contributed to the fulfilment of the functions of the police force. I understand also that a number of police authorities have recently taken out insurance policies to provide compensation where persons are killed or injured when assisting the police. I have no proposals for legislation.

Back to