§ Mr. Temple
asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government and Minister for Welsh Affairs what was the last operative rate per cent. of specific grants for services or parts of services which were incorporated for grant purposes under the Local Government Act, 1958, within the first General Grant Order.
§ Sir K. Joseph
The following are the rates at which specific grants were paid in 1958–59 in respect of expenditure on those services and parts of services now covered by general grants:
- Education: On average about 58 per cent.
- Local health: 50 per cent.
- Fire: 25 per cent.
- Child care: 50 per cent.
- Planning: Generally 50 per cent.
- Road Safety: 50 per cent.
- Road Traffic patrols: On a mileage rate basis, meeting about 50 per cent. of the cost of running and maintaining approved vehicles and radio equipment.
- Registration of electors: 50 per cent.
- Physical training and recreation. On average about 30 per cent.
- Accommodation provided under National Assistance Act, 1948: On a unit grant basis.
- School crossing patrols: 50 per cent.