§ Mr. Selwyn Lloyd
Most of the members of the Council have now been appointed and I am proposing that the first meeting should take place in March. In addition to the President of the Board of Trade, the Minister of Labour and myself, the Council will have seventeen members. The following have already accepted appointment to it:
I understand that the Trades Union Congress will put forward to me after a meeting later this month the names of six trade unionists suitable to be appointed to the Council.
- Dr. R. Beeching, Chairman, British Transport Commission.
- Mr. F. A. Cockfield, Managing-Director, Boots Pure Drug Co. Ltd.
- Sir Oliver Franks, G.C.M.G., K.C.B., C.B.E., Provost-elect of Worcester College, Oxford.
- Mr. R. M. Geddes, O.B.E., Managing-Director, Dunlop Rubber Co. Ltd.
- Mr. C. E. Harrison, Vice-Chairman, English Sewing Cotton Co. Ltd.
- Mr. E. J. Hunter, C.B.E., Chairman, Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd.
- Mr. J. M. Laing, Managing-Director, John Laing and Son Ltd.
- Professor H. Phelps Brown, Professor of the Economics of Labour, London School of Economics.
- Lord Robens of Woldingham, Chairman, National Coal Board.
- Sir Robert Shone, Director-General of the staff of the Council.
- Mr. J. N. Toothill, C.B.E., Director, Ferranti Ltd.
Sir Robert Shone is making an announcement today about the recruitment of the staff of the Council.