§ LORD AMULREE
asked Her Majesty's Government:
Whether they will state the membership of the Governing Body of the Commonwealth Institute, and whether the new independent countries of the Commonwealth are all represented on it.
§ VISCOUNT HAILSHAM
The composition of the Governing Body is prescribed by Statute. It comprises a Chairman, Vice-Chairman and twelve members appointed by the Minister of Education, one member appointed by the Government of each independent country of the Commonwealth, and by the Government of the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland.
A number of new appointments have recently been made by the Minister of Education. All the independent countries are represented except Cyprus and Tanganyika, whose membership will be effective as soon as nominations are received.207WA
The current list of members is as follows:
- Sir James W. Robertson, G.C.M.G., G.C.V.O., K.B.E. (Chairman),
- Sir Griffith Williams, K.B.E., C.B. (Vice-Chairman),
- Sir Robert Russell, C.S.I., C.I.E., M.A. (Chairman, Scottish Committee),
- Miss Alice Bacon, C.B.E., M.P.
- Mr. Julian S. Crossley,
- Mr. Garnet H. Gordon, Kt., C.B.E., Q.C.,
- Sir Ronald Gould, M. A.,
- Sir Arthur Kirby, K.B.E., C.M.G.,
- Professor P. N. S. Mansergh, O.B.E., D.Litt, M.A., D.Phil., Ph.D.,
- Mr. R. M. Marsh, M.A.,
- Lord Ogmore, T.D., J.P.,
- Sir Alfred Roberts, C.B.E., M.A., J.P.,
- Mr. Don Taylor,
- Lord Tweedsmuir, O.B.E.
Appointments by other Commonwealth Governments
- Canada, The High Commissioner,
- Australia, The High Commissioner,
- New Zealand, The High Commissioner,
- India, The High Commissioner,
- Pakistan, The High Commissioner,
- Ceylon, The Deputy High Commissioner.
- Federation of Malaya, The High Commissioner,
- Ghana, The High Commissioner.
- Nigeria, The High Commissioner,
- Sierra Leone, The High Commissioner,
- Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland, The High Commissioner.