HC Deb 19 December 1962 vol 669 cc194-5W
Mr. Spriggs

asked the Minister of Transport what qualifications are required under his regulations for the training of drivers for public service vehicles, heavy road haulage vehicles and other forms of mechanically-propelled road vehicles, respectively.

Mr. Marples

I have no power to make regulations to require qualifications of the kind referred to in the Question.

At present, regulations relate only to qualifications for driving. Drivers of public service vehicles need a special licence in addition to the normal driving licence. To obtain this special licence, an applicant has to show that he has the ability to drive such a vehicle; he must also produce satisfactory evidence as to his health, character and education.

However, under Section 23 of the Road Traffic Act, 1962, I have power to set up a voluntary register of approved driving instructors. I am at present considering what qualifications and conditions will be required before an applicant can be registered.

Forward to