§ LORD MANCROFT
asked Her Majesty's Government:
Whether they are now in a position to make a statement about the possibility of setting up a Committee to examine the laws on Sunday observance in England and Wales.
My right honourable friend has decided to appoint a Departmental Committee to review the law (other than the Licensing Acts) relating to Sunday entertainments, sports, pastimes and trading in England and Wales and to make recommendations. I am glad to be able to tell the House that my noble friend, Lord Crathorne, has agreed to act as Chairman and the382WA following have agreed to be members of the Committee:
- Mr. John Arbuthnot, M.B.E., T.D., M.P.,
- The Rt. Hon. J. Chuter Ede, C.H., M.P.,
- Mr. Robin Huws Jones, M.A., B.Sc.(Econ.),
- Mr. W. A. Morrison, O.B.E.,
- The Hon. Sylvia Fletcher Moulton, C.B.E.,
- Mr. Norman Pentland, M.P.,
- Mr. Peter Rawlinson, Q.C., M.P.
Mr. H. W. Stotesbury of the Home Office will act as Assessor to the Committee and Miss M. Hornsby of the Home Office will be Secretary.
House adjourned at a quarter past eight o'clock.