§ Sir W. Bromley-Davenport
asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether he is now in a position to make a statement about the possibility of setting up a committee to examine and report on legislation dealing with Sunday observance in England and Wales.
§ Mr. R. A. Butler
I have decided to appoint a Departmental Committee to review the law (other than the Licensing Acts) relating to Sunday entertainments, sports, pastimes and trading in England and Wales and to make recommendations. I am glad to announce that my noble Friend Lord Crathorne has agreed to act as Chairman and the following have agreed to be members of the Committee:
- Mr. John Arbuthnot, M.B.E., T.D., M.P.
- The Rt. Hon. J. Chuter Ede, C.H.. M.P.
- Mr. Robin Huws Jones. M.A., B.Sc.(Econ.).
- Mr. W. A. Morrison, O.B.E.
- The Hon. Sylvia Fletcher Moulton, C.B.E.
- Mr. Norman Pentland, M.P.
- Mr. Peter Rawlinson, Q.C., M.P.
Mr. H. W. Stotesbury of the Home Office will act as Assessor to the Committee and Miss M. Hornsby of the Home Office will be Secretary.