HC Deb 11 July 1961 vol 644 c27W
83. Mr. Awbery

asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government and Minister of Welsh Affairs if he will take steps to make better known the fact that sub-tenants can appeal to a rents tribunal for a reduction in their rents where they believe them to be excessive and where the premises are in an unsatisfactory condition on grounds of public health; and if he will take powers, in cases where reductions are made because the premises are in an unsatisfactory condition, to enable such reductions to be retrospective.

Mr. Brooke

Sub-tenants as well as tenants of furnished accommodation can ask rent tribunals to fix fair rents for the accommodation they occupy if its rateable value is within the rent control limits. I do not think any fresh publicity for this is needed, for I have no evidence of any general misunderstanding of this fact.

The answer to the second part of the Question is "No".

Back to
Forward to