§ LORD SHACKLETON
asked Her Majesty's Government:
What plans they have for developing research in the field of radio astronomy in this country.
§ VISCOUNT HAILSHAM
I have recently appointed a Committee under the chairmanship of Lord Fleck, with the following terms of referenceTo consider and advise on the nature and extent of the participation of Her Majesty's Government in research in radio astronomy; in particular to consider the programmes, facilities, funds and organisation, required to support the United Kingdom interest in research in radio astronomy both nationally and internationally.
The membership of the Committee is: —
- Chairman: The Lord Fleck, K.B.E.
- Sir Edward Appleton, G.B.E., K.C.B., F.R.S. (Edinburgh University).
- Dr. D. G. Christopherson, O.B.E., F.R.S. (Durham University).
- Dr. W. L. Francis, C.B.E. (D.S.I.R.).
- Dr. J. S. Hey, M.B.E. (Royal Radar Establishment, Malvern).
- Professor Fred Hoyle, F.R.S. (Cambridge University).
- Sir Willis Jackson, F.R.S. (London University).
- Professor E. R. H. Jones, F.R.S. (Oxford University).
- Sir Bernard Lovell, O.B.E., F.R.S. (Manchester University).
- Mr. J. A. Ratcliffe, C.B.E., F.R.S. (Radio Research Station, D.S.I.R.).
- Professor Martin Ryle, F.R.S. (Cambridge University).
- Dr. R. v. d. R. Woolley, O.B.E., F.R.S. (Astronomer Royal).
I hope to receive an interim report within a year.