§ Mr. J. H. Osborn
asked the Parliamentary Secretary for Science what plans the Government had for developing research in the field of radio-astronomy in the United Kingdom.166W
§ Mr. Denzil Freeth
My noble Friend has recently appointed a committee under the chairmanship of Lord Fleck, with the following terms of reference:
"To consider and advise on the nature and extent of the participation of Her Majesty's Government in research in radio-astronomy; in particular to consider the programmes, facilities, funds and organisation required to support the United Kingdom interest in research in radio-astronomy both nationally and internationally."
The membership of the Committee is:
- Chairman: The Lord Fleck, K.B.E.,
- Sir Edward Appleton, G.B.E., K.C.B., F.R.S., (Edinburgh University).
- Dr. D. G. Christopherson, O.B.E., F.A.S., (Durham University).
- Dr. W. L. Francis, C.B.E. (D.S.I.R.).
- Dr. J. S. Hey, M.B.E (Royal Radar Establishment, Malver).
- Professor Fred Hoyle, F.R.S. (Cambridge University).
- Sir Willis Jackson, F.R.S. (London University).
- Professor E. R. H. Jones, F.R.S. (Oxford University).
- Sir Bernard Lovell, O.B.E., (Manchester University).
- Mr. J. A. Ratcliffe, C.B.E., F.R.S. (Radio Research Station, D.S.I.R.).
- Professor Martin Ryle, F.R.S. (Cambridge University).
- Dr. R. v. d. R. Woolley, O.B.E., F.R.S. (Astronomer Royal).
My noble Friend hopes to receive an interim report within a year.