HC Deb 31 May 1960 vol 624 cc125-6W
Mr. F. Noel-Baker

asked the Minister of Pensions and National Insurance what recent changes have been made in the arrangements for assisting pensioners to pay National Health Service prescription charges; and if he will explain in detail what course should now be followed by pensioners not in receipt of National Assistance who have difficulty in paying such charges regularly because of the delay in obtaining refunds.

Miss Hornsby-Smith

No recent change has been made in the arrangements, and I am not aware of any delay in obtaining refunds. A pensioner, not in receipt of a regular supplement from the Board, who wishes to claim refund of a prescription charge on grounds of hardship can obtain from the chemist a combined leaflet and application form which he can send or take to the Board's office. If the conditions are satisfied a prompt refund will be made, or advance payment in the unusual case of a person not having the ready money to pay the charge.