§ Sir F. Markham
asked the Minister of Transport if he will give details of the six schemes for converting abandoned railway lines into roadways or to other purposes.
§ Mr. Marples
The current proposals relate to the following routes:
- 1. Part of the reconstruction of the Heads of the Valleys Road, A.465. (Five miles of track between Dowlais Top Junction and Tafarnau-bach and between Tafarnau-bach and Beaufort.)
- 2. The Monmouth (Gibraltar and Mitchel Troy) Diversion on A.40 (approximately 1¼ miles of track near Mitchel Troy).
- 3. An improved route for A. 17 from near Sutton Bridge, Holland, to the Norfolk-Holland County Boundary and from there to the Borough of King's Lynn by-passing Cross Keys, Terrington St. Clement and Clenchwarton. (Approximately 9 miles along part of the route of the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway.)
- 4. The improvement to A.470 between Tongwynlais and Abercynon. (Approximately 1½ miles on suctions of line at Tongwynlais and between Upper Boat and Rhyd-y-felin.)
- 5. Buckden flyover on the Great North Road between A.1 and A.141 using a section of railway line already bridged by the trunk road. (Approximately ¼ mile.)
- 6. Part of the Darlington By-pass (approximately 4 miles of the disused Merrybent branch line). An additional mile of railway line will be used if possible modifications at the southern end of this by-pass and a realignment of the Barton By-pass are adopted.