§ Mr. Malcolm MacPherson
asked the Secretary of State for the Colonies which delegates attended the Commonwealth Education Conference to represent the non-self-governing territories; and how they were selected.
§ Mr. Iain Macleod
The non-self-governing territories were represented at the Commonwealth Education Conference by twenty-eight persons who formed76W a "wing" of the United Kingdom delegation. This "wing" was led by a Deputy Under Secretary of State from the Colonial Office, and included three educational advisers to the Secretary of State, and twenty-four representatives from the main territories with which the Colonial Office is concerned. These representatives were selected by their respective Governments. Representation of Northern Rhodesia and Nyasaland was provided for separately in the delegation of the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland. A list of members of the Colonial "wing" is given below.
- Sir Hilton Poynton, K.C.M.G., Deputy Under-Secretary of State, Colonial Office.
- M. J. Bay, Chief Inspector of Schools, Fiji.
- A. Beejadhur, Minister of Education and Cultural Affairs, Mauritius.
- J. R. Bunting, Chief Federal Adviser on Education, Nigeria.
- G. B. Cartland, C.M.G., Minister of Education of Labour, Uganda.
- F. W. E. Case, Deputy Director of Education, British Guiana.
- C. J. Cooper, Director of Education, Somaliland Protectorate.
- Sir Christopher Cox, K.C.M.G., Educational Adviser, Colonial Office.
- D. H. Creed-Newton, M.B.E., Director of Education, Sierra Leone. Sierra Leone and the Gambia.
- P. Donohue, Assistant Director of Education, Hong Kong
- T. O. Ejiwunmi, Chief Inspector, W. Region. Nigeria.
- M. C. English, Education Officer, E. Region. Nigeria.
- E. E. Esua, C.B.E., Secretary, Nigerian Union of Teachers, Nigeria
- J. J. M. Figueroa, Professor of Education, University College of The West Indies, The West Indies.
- Miss F. H. Gwilliam, O.B.E., Woman Educational Adviser, Colonial Office
- S. F. Hann, O.B.E., Director of Education, Zanzibar.
- H. W. Howes, C.M.G., O.B.E., Director of Education, British Honduras.
- H. G. Jelf, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, N. Region, Nigeria.
- J. C. Jones, C.B.E., Adviser on Technical Education, Colonial Office.
- W. W. Lewis-Jones, C.B.E., Director of Education, Tanganyika.
- R. F. Mais, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, Jamaica, The West Indies.
- W. A. C. Mathieson, C.M.G., M.B.E., Minister for Education, Labour and Lands, Kenya.
- D. S. Miller, C.B.E., Director of Education, Kenya.
- R. N. Murray, Federal Education Adviser. The West Indies.
- J. H. Parry, Principal, The University College Ibadan, Nigeria.
- A. I. Saidi, Member in charge of Education Department, Aden.
- J. P. Vassallo, O.B.E., Director of Education, Malta.
- F. C. Whelan, Deputy Director of Education, North Borneo, North Borneo and Sarawak.