§ Mr. de Freitas
asked the Secretary of State for Air what are the terms of reference of the Flying Personnel Research Committee and the composition and the qualifications of its members.
The Committee was appointed to advise the Secretary of State for Air on the medical aspects of all research affecting safety and efficiency in flying, including problems associated with the scientific selection and training of personnel, measures designed to maintain their physiological and psychological efficiency, the human problems associated with the use of guided missiles; and to advise similarly, when called upon, the Admiralty, the War Office, the Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation and the Ministry of Supply.
- The Chairman is Air Marshal Sir Harold Whittingham, K.C.B., K.B.E., LL.D., F.R.C.P., F.R.C.S.(E), lately Director of Medical Services, British Overseas Airways Corporation (Chairman).
- The Members are:
- Sir Frederic Bartlett, C.B.E., M.A., Fellow of St. Jonh's College, Cambridge; Member, Medical Research Council.
- Dr. E. A. Carmichael, C.B.E., D.R.C.P., Director of the Medical Research Council's neurological research unit, National Hospital for Nervous Diseases, London.
- Professor A. Bradford Hill, C.B.E., D.Sc., Ph.D., F.R.S., Professor of medical statistics, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Hon. director, Medical Research Council's statistical research unit. Consultant in medical statistics to the Royal Air Force.
- Professor Sir Bryan Matthews, C.B.E., Sc.D., F.R.S., Professor of physiology, Cambridge. Consultant in applied physiology to the Royal Air Force.
- Surgeon Captain C. B. Nicholson, M.B., B.S., D.L.O., R.N., representing the Medical Director-General of the Navy, Admiralty.
- Air Marshal, P. B. Lee Potter, K.B.E., M.D., B.Ch., D.P.H., D.T.M. & H., Q.H.S., Director-General of Medical Services, Royal Air Force.
- Group Captain H. L. Roxburgh, O.B.E., Ph.D., B.Sc., M.B., Ch.B., Commanding Officer, Royal Air Force Institute of Aviation Medicine.
- Sir Charles Symonds, K.B.E., C.B., M.D., F.R.C.P., Honorary consultant in neurology to the Royal Air Force.
- Air Commodore J. S. Wilson, M.D., Ch.B., D.P.H., Director of Hygiene and Research, Air Ministry (Chief Executive Officer).