HC Deb 01 April 1958 vol 585 c131W
Dr. Bennett

asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer which universities have a faculty or readership or lecturership in public health; and which of these carries out research into the problems of pollution, whether of inland or coastal waters.

Mr. Simon

The universities which have faculties, readerships or lectureships in public health are—Birmingham, Bristol, Durham, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Sheffield, Wales, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow and St. Andrews.

The University of Bristol is carrying out special researches on drinking water; research in the other universities is mostly concentrated on other public health problems. The body mainly concerned with research into the problems of water pollution is the Public Health Laboratory Service.