§ 99. Major Beamish
asked the Minister of Education to publish in the OFFICIAL REPORT the names and positions held of all the Members of the Committee recently appointed to consider and Report upon the redistribution of Library functions, showing the population of all the authorities represented; why the Committee only includes one member of a small local authority; and, in view of the importance of these matters to smaller local authorities, if he will either add suitably to the membership of this Committee, or give an assurance that the views of the smaller authorities will be given the full weight that they deserve.
§ Mr. Geoffrey Lloyd
I agree with my hon. and gallant Friend in thinking it important that the Committee should include members with relevant experience and with this in mind I am appointing an additional member from a non-county borough.
The Answer to the first part of the Question is as follows:
- Mr. S. C. Roberts: Master, Pembroke College, Cambridge.
- Mr. A. G. Bossier: Chairman, Libraries Committee, Rochdale County Borough Council (88,429).
- Mr. J. Bulman, C.B.E.: Clerk, Malvern Urban District Council (21,505).
- Mr. T. I. Ellis Member of Court and Council, University College of Wales and National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
- Mr. F. C. Francis: Keeper, Printed Books, British Museum, President, Association of Special Libraries and Information Bureaux.
- Mr. J. G. Harries, M.B.E.: Secretary for Education, Cornwall (345,442).
- Mr. B. Keith-Lucas: Senior Lecturer in Local Government and Bursar, Nuffield College, Oxford.
- Mr. B. Kenyon: Clerk, West Riding County Council (1,599,118).
- Mr. A. Lubbock, D.L.: Chairman, Hampshire County Council (640,437).
- Mr. L. R. McColvin, C.B.E.: City Librarian, Westminster (99,048).
- Mr. J. H. Newsom, C.B.E.: Director, Longman's Green & Co., Ltd., Formerly Chief Education Officer, Hertfordshire (609,775).
- Mr. C. A. Scrimgeour: Resident Tutor, Oxford University Delegacy for Extra-Mural Studies, Stoke-on-Trent.
- Mr. B. D. Storey, C.B.E.: Town Clerk, Norwich (121,236).
- Mrs. K. T Swanzy: Member, Warwickshire County Council Education Committee (490,740)
- Mr. E. Sydney, M.C.: Immediate Past President, Library Association, Formerly Borough Librarian, Leyton (105,978).