§ Mr. H. Hynd
asked the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs what results have been achieved by the Cultural Convention with the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
§ Mr. Ian Harvey
The achievements can be summarised as follows:—
- (i) One scholarship for post-graduate study in the United Kingdom is ear-marked each year by the British Council for candidates from Luxembourg (either as a single award, or for conversion into a number of shorter bursaries).
- (ii) A member of the Ministry of Education has lectured to Luxembourg teachers of English on secondary education and this was followed up by a short intensive course held in Luxembourg for teachers of English and organised by the British Council.
- (iii) A successful link has been establised between one Luxembourg school and an English school, and it is hoped to form others.
- (iv) Links have also been established between professional associations by means of an exchange of publications (e.g. the Association of Luxembourg Engineers and its British counterpart).
- (v) Close collaboration has been established between the British Luxembourg Society and the British Council for British lecturers to speak in Luxembourg and for the supply of films and minor exhibitions.
- (vi) The nucleus of an English library has been presented to the Anglo-Luxembourg Society but its future development is dependent on suitable premises being found by the Society to house it.
- (vii) Regular presentations of British periodicals are made to Luxembourg
57 schools by the British Council and it has been agreed to present annually a number of book prizes to the best scholars of English in the schools.