HC Deb 22 May 1957 vol 570 c83W
70. Mr. Pitman

asked the Minister of Defence what steps he has taken to ensure that all those officers who will be retired, or who may fear that they may be retired, are aware of the facilities for consultation, information, and advice directed to obtain suitable other employment; and what are such facilities.

Mr. Sandys:

Officers can seek information and advice from their station or command resettlement or education officer, and information on resettlement questions is contained in the Services Resettlement Bulletin, which is available to all ranks. Officers can also take advantage of the facilities provided by the Ministry of Labour and National Service at more than 40 of its local offices, where professional and executive registers have been set up and vacancies of administrative and managerial grade are noted. Advice on careers in the professions is also available at these offices. Officers will also have the help of the Officers' Association Employment Bureau which, in co-operation with the Ministry of Labour, does much valuable work in helping to find them civilian employment.

The Ministry of Labour's Business Training Scheme prepares suitable ex-officers for executive posts in industry or commerce by means of a three months' theoretical course at a commercial college or by practical training or by a combination of both.

A special booklet entitled "Resettlement in Civilian Employment—Regular Officers" prepared by the Ministry of Labour is given to officers well before they retire. This booklet contains information about where officers can obtain information, both in the Services and outside, about prospects in civilian life and advice on how best to prepare for a new career.

Forward to