HC Deb 19 February 1957 vol 565 c44W
75. Mr. Sydney Irving

asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government whether he will consider giving financial assistance to local authorities to deal with private street works where a charge on the frontagers would constitute hardship or would be in other ways unfair.

Mr. H. Brooke

Local authorities have power to contribute the whole or part of the cost of private street works if they think fit. I do not think that there is any need for grant from the Exchequer.