§ 87. Mr. T. Fraser
asked the Secretary of State for Scotland if he will give the figures for the authorised establishment, the actual strength, and the numbers over-strength and under-strength, male and female, of the Scottish police forces at the end of April and September each year since September, 1949.
§ Mr. Maclay
The following are the figures:—
in the near future, to reconstitute the Council for a period of three years. I am very glad to say that Principal T. M. Knox of St. Andrews University has accepted my invitation to be Chairman. Sir James Robertson, Rector of Aberdeen Grammar School, has agreed to serve as Vice-Chairman and the following as members:
- Miss B. Harvie Anderson, O.B.E.
- Sir David S. Anderson, B.Sc., Ph.D.
- H. Bell, Esq., O.B.E., M.A., Ed.B.
- C. A. C. de Boinville, Esq., B.A.
- James Craigie, Esq, M.A., Ph.D.
- Frank Donachy, Esq.
- Myer Galpern, Esq.
- Mrs. L. P. Cameron-Head.
- W. B. Inglis, Esq., O.B.E., M.A., Ed.B., Ph.D.
- Douglas M. McIntosh, Esq., M.A., B.Sc., B.Ed., Ph.D.
- James W. Scholes, Esq., M.B.E.
- Professor Michael Swann, M.A., Ph.D.
As the first matter on which I wish to have the Council's advice, I am giving it the following remit:To consider measures to meet the increasing demand for teachers for secondary education with special reference to the provision of additional facilities to enable teachers in service to become qualified to teach in secondary schools and to possible changes in the conditions on which teaching certificates are awarded; and to make recommendations.
For the consideration of this remit I have directed the Council, in accordance with the provisions of the Education (Scotland) Advisory Council Order, 1942, to appoint a special committee and have nominated as members of that Committee all the members of the Council named above together with the following:—
- John Highet, Esq., M.A., D.Phil.
- Miss C. M. McBain, M.A.
- Miss L. McDonald, M.A., B.A.
- John Marshall, Esq., M.A.
- Right Rev. Monsignor Ward, V.G.
- H. P. Wood, Esq., M.A., M.Sc., M.Ed.
- A. L. Young, Esq., M.A., B.Sc., Ed.B.