§ Mr. Head
These were bought during the war for use with a type of cinema projector which has not been manufactured since 1946. We now have only two such projectors for which a sufficient stock of lamps is being retained. The Army has no other use for the lamps. They were not specifically offered to other Government Departments as they did not appear on any "shopping list". All interested Departments did however receive prior advice of this sale as well as the usual catalogues.113W
§ Mr. Dodds
asked the Secretary of State for War why 5,030 pyjama jackets, 3,650 pyjama trousers, 1,500 serge blue jackets, and 2,780 serge blue trousers were offered for sale at the recent auction at the New Islington Public Hall, Manchester; how much they realised; how this compares with the total cost; and the reason for the difference between the number of jackets and trousers in both cases.
§ Mr. Head
The pyjamas were of grey flannel of a type now considered too heavy. All stocks of grey flannel pyjamas which were held centrally were disposed of in 1954, and the jackets and trousers referred to were oddments subsequently returned from command depots. The jackets originally cost 4s. 8d. each and the trousers 4s. 3d. The average prices received for them were ls. 11½d. and 2s. Od. respectively.
The blue serge jackets and trousers were of the type universally used in military hospitals until 1952, when they were, with certain exceptions, replaced by battle dress. We hold stocks in excess of present requirements and the items put up for sale were part of the surplus and mostly of 114W war-time manufacture and poor quality. The jackets originally cost 19s. 6d. and the trousers 14s. 9d. The prices realised were about 3s. 5d. and 7s. Od. respectively.
These items are all held and accounted for separately and not as suits and this is the reason why the numbers of trousers and jackets offered for sale do not correspond.
§ Mr. Head
These are surplus to foreseeable requirements. They were ordered towards the end of the war and were delivered between 1945 and 1950 for use with cinema projectors. They cost ½29,667 and were offered to the other Service Departments before being put up for disposal. Sales catalogues have also been circulated to all Departments which might be interested.