HC Deb 19 November 1953 vol 520 cc192-3W
122. Mr. H. Brooke

asked the Minister of Health what arrangements are made to ensure immediate medical attention for an old person living alone who is found to be in need of it, but has failed or refused to get himself or herself on to any doctor's list.

Mr. Iain Macleod

Application for treatment in an emergency can be made to any general practitioner in the National Health Service, who is under an obligation to provide any necessary treatment, even though the patient may not be on his list.

128. Mr. H. Thorneycroft

asked the Minister of Health whether, in view of the high cost of maintaining old people in residential homes, he will introduce legislation to extend the powers of local authorities to help old people living in their own homes, and thus prolong their independence.

Mr. Iain Macleod

Local authorities already have wide powers enabling them to provide services to help old people living in their own homes, including the health visiting, home nursing and domestic help services. I am not aware of any need for fresh legislation.