HC Deb 10 December 1953 vol 521 cc257-8W
34. Mr. McKay

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department how far instructions are given to the Metropolitan Police to co-operate with the police in other districts to find the addresses of husbands who are separated from their wives and who are not making the payments ordered by the court, so that proceedings can be taken against such men.

Sir D. Maxwell Fyfe

Where a maintenance order has been made, the police do their best to serve a summons or to execute a warrant issued by the court, but, if they have no clue to the man's whereabouts, they cannot undertake such extensive inquiries as they would in relation to a person suspected of a serious criminal offence.