Mr. C. I. Orr-Ewing
asked the Minister of Food whether he can now give further information about the proposed revision of the pre-war basis for allocating scarce materials to food manufacturers.
§ Major Lloyd George
As has already been announced, it is my intention to break away as far as practicable from the pre-war basis for allocating scarce materials to food manufacturers.
The following general principles, which have been formulated after consideration of representations from the trades primarly concerned, will be applied in devising revised schemes:
- 1. The revised allocations will be related to certified performance in a recent period, taking account of production both from allocated and unallocated materials but not necessarily on an identical basis.
- 2. The period chosen will not necessarily be the same for each industry but will in all cases be selected as one in which production was relatively high.
- 3. It will be the aim to replace the basic period chosen initially from time to time by reference to up-to-date experience.
- 4. Provision will be made for new entrants.
- 5. Arrangements will be made for consideration of hardship cases.
In the application of these principles the trades concerned will be fully consulted.