§ 97. Mrs. Corbet
asked the Minister of Works what are the results of his further investigation into the durability of the structure of the Dome of Discovery; and, in view of the fact that the London County Council is interested in the possibility of taking it over and of removing it elsewhere when times are more propitious for an undertaking of such magnitude, he will now consider allowing it to remain on its present site, unless and until the land is required for some other purpose.
§ Mr. Eccles
While the structure could be maintained for longer than was originally intended this would involve considerable expense. Proposals for re-erecting the Dome elsewhere involve other technical considerations. My reasons, however, for asking the London County Council to decide by 5th March whether they wish to acquire and re-erect the Dome are not connected with these technical questions.
The site should be cleared as soon as possible. This is the more urgent with 128W the Coronation ahead of us. I am unwilling to become the caretaker of empty and deteriorating structures. I hope, therefore, that the London County Council will see the necessity for removing the Dome now; if the Council wishes to re-erect the structure elsewhere I will support an application for authority to do so.