HC Deb 19 February 1951 vol 484 c158W
Mr. Turton

asked the Minister of Agriculture whether water supply schemes embodying the use of polythene and alkathene tube are eligible for grants.

Mr. T. Williams

Polythene is the name of the plastic used for certain makes of tubing, and alkathene is the trade name of one of these makes. Where no objection to the use of the tubing is raised by the local water undertaker, polythene tubing, manufactured to the same specification as the standard and heavy gauge given in the British Plastics Federation's Code of Practice for Polythene Tubing for Cold Water Services, is allowed for grant-aided water supply schemes. In certain circumstances, however, there may be some adjustment to the amount of the grant.