HC Deb 04 December 1951 vol 494 cc233-4W
113. Mr. Swingler

asked the Secretary of State for War whether officers who resigned and were discharged in order to stand as parliamentary candidates will be restored to their former ranks on rejoining the Army.

Mr. Head

An officer who retires or resigns voluntarily in order to stand as a candidate for election to Parliament has no right to be reinstated in the Service if he fails to secure election. But, if application is made, each case is decided on its merits. A National Service candidate, recalled to complete his whole-time service after such failure, will normally be eligible for re-employment in his previous rank.