§ 46. Mr. Bossom
asked the Minister of Supply if it is proposed that the five persons appointed to the Steel Board will be given contracts of service; and if he will give the details.
§ Mr. G. R. Strauss
In accordance with the terms of the Iron and Steel Act, the chairman and members of the Iron and Steel Corporation of Great Britain will be appointed by me and will hold and vacate office in accordance with the terms of their appointment. With permission, I will circulate in the OFFICIAL REPORT a copy of the standard letter of appointment I intend to use.
Following is the standard letter of appointment
I hereby appoint you as [Chairman] a whole-time member of the Iron and Steel Corporation of Great Britain (constituted under the Iron and Steel Act, 1949) on the terms and conditions set out below:
- 1. Your salary will be [£7,500 for Chairman] £5,000 per annum.
- 2. Your appointment will run from the 2nd day of October, 1950, and will normally terminate on the day of but you may at any time by notice in writing to me resign your office as [Chairman] a member of the Corporation, and your office may be declared by me to be vacant at any time if, in my opinion, you are for any cause whatsoever unable or unfit to discharge the functions of [Chairman] a member; and upon my giving to you notice in writing of the fact your office shall become vacant and your appointment determined.
- 3. You will be required to render whole-time service to the Corporation and, except in so far as the Corporation with my approval may otherwise permit, devote yourself exclusively to the business of the Corporation.
- 4. Without prejudice to any other mode of giving the notice required to be given to you under paragraph 2, such notice may be given by posting the same in a registered letter addressed
200 to you at the office of the Corporation or your usual place of abode.
- 5. Your appointment will be conditional upon your relinquishing or abandoning the following financial or other interests:
- 6. You will advise me in writing of any financial or other interest which you may have acquired since your letter of the day of to me and before acquiring any fresh such interest notify me in writing of your intention so to do.
May I ask you to acknowledge receipt of this letter and to state that you accept appointment on these terms and conditions?
NOTE: In the case of part-time members, certain amendments will be made, the more important being:
Paragraph 1—the salary will be £500 per annum.
Paragraph 3—delete and substitute, "You will be required to devote to the business of the Corporation such time as, in my opinion, after consultation with the Chairman of the Corporation, is necessary for the proper discharge of your duties."