Mr. H. Wilson
Yes. Following consultations with the rayon industry I have decided to appoint a Committee under the Chairmanship of the Parliamentary Secretary to the Board of Trade to inquire into the supply position of utility rayon goods and the changes in the utility rayon scheme which may be required in the future.228W
The terms of reference of the Committee are to consider and advise on:
- (1) any further steps necessary to secure an early increase in the supply of utility-type rayon goods, i.e. goods which carry a satisfactory assurance of quality for sale at controlled prices; and
- (2) any changes, both in the present utility scheme for rayon goods and otherwise, which may be desirable in the longer term to secure for the buying public the continued advantage of quality standards and reasonable prices.
The following is to be the membership of the Committee:
- The Parliamentary Secretary to the Board of Trade, Chairman.
- Mr. S. P. Abrams—Director, Nelson Wear, Ltd.
- Mr. Donald Barber, C.B.E.—Director, Retail Distributors' Association.
- Mr. H. Churchill—Proprietor, Chas. E. Churchill & Co.
- Mr. C. H. Colton—Director, British Celanese Ltd.
- Mr. W. P. Courtauld—Director, Courtaulds Ltd.
- Mr. J. Curwen—Director, Rose Mill Co. (Leigh) Ltd.
- Mr. W. Dewhurst—Director, Hindley Bros. Ltd.
- Mr. Percy Good, C.B.E.—Director, British Standards Institution.
- Sir William Palmer, K.B.E., C.B.—Chairman. British Rayon Federation.
- Mr. A. N. Silver—London Co-operative Society.
- Mr. J. J. T. Renard—Director, Jn. W. Roe Ltd.
- Mr. A. J. C. Walters—Director. British Rayon Federation.
- Mr. S. G. Wilson—Director, Pawsons & Leafs Ltd.
- Mr. W. T. Winterbottom, C.B.E.—Vice- Chairman, Fine Spinners and Doublers Ltd.
- Sir Richard Yeabsley, C.B.E.—Accountant Adviser to the Board of Trade.
- Official representatives of the Board of Trade.
The Secretary to the Committee is Mr. H. W. Morris, Board of Trade.