HC Deb 08 May 1950 vol 475 cc20-1W
Mr. H. Brooke

asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer whether persons who are emigrating permanently to Australia and retaining no domicile or other property in this country can be permitted to encash their post-war credit certificates before leaving; and, if not, by what means they will be notified when the time for encashment arrives.

Sir S. Cripps

The answer to the first part of the Question is "No," except where the emigrant has already reached the age of 65 in the case of a man or 60 in the case of a woman. As regards the second part of the Question, no special notification is given under the present scheme for repayment to elderly people: but an emigrant would be well advised to notify his address abroad to the inspector of taxes named on his latest post-war credit certificate.