HC Deb 20 July 1950 vol 477 cc192-3W
98. Mr. Henry Hopkinson

asked the Minister of Health whether, having regard to the difficulties experienced by members of His Majesty's forces in securing the inclusion of their names on the housing waiting lists, he will make arrangements with the Minister of Defence for a general list of applicants for houses to be kept by the three Services to enable Service men on discharge to be allotted a priority on the housing list of the local authority in whatever district they eventually find work.

Mr. Bevan

As has already been explained in writing to the hon. Member, I do not think such arrangements would be practicable.

Mr. Perkins

asked the Minister of Health what advice is given to long-service men, about to leave the Forces, on obtaining housing accommodation for themselves and their families in view of the fact that, because of their service, they have no claim on any particular housing authority.

Mr. Bevan

Explanatory leaflets and forms of application are provided by the Service authorities to serving officers and men. These indicate that, if accommodation cannot be obtained privately, application should be made to the appropriate local authority, which will normally be that of the area in which the Service man will be working on return to this country.

Mr. Amory

asked the Minister of Health what recent recommendations he has made to local authorities to overcome the difficulty experienced by members of the Regular Armed Forces in obtaining consideration of their claims for council houses on discharge owing to lack of residential qualifications.

Mr. Bevan

I am sending the hon. Member copies of a recent Report by my Central Housing Advisory Committee and of the covering circular sent to all housing authorities, which include recommendations bearing on this subject.

Forward to