HC Deb 20 April 1950 vol 474 cc40-2W
84. Mr. Jenkins

asked the Minister of Fuel and Power whether, in order to increase the earnings of foreign exchange, and particularly of dollars, resulting from tourists in this country, he will arrange for overseas visitors to receive a larger allowance of petrol.

Mr. P. Noel-Baker

Yes. In future, visitors from Canada and the United States of America who bring their cars with them, or who purchase a new car here for subsequent export, will receive sufficient petrol for 3,000 miles motoring during their first month's stay, 2,000 miles during the second month and 1,000 miles during the third month, making a total of 6,000 miles motoring for a visit of three or more months.

Other overseas visitors (not including those from the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man—to whom special arrangements apply) will in similar circumstances receive allowances sufficient to provide for 2,000, 1,000 and 1,000 miles for the first, second and third months respectively, making a total of 4,000 miles motoring in any stay of three or more months. In addition, I propose to double the present allowance of 250 miles motoring to overseas visitors who borrow cars or purchase them second-hand during their visit to this country.

Visitors already in this country who have drawn allowances at the old rates will be able to receive additional allowances.