HC Deb 01 February 1949 vol 460 c212W
55 and 56. Mr. Bossom

asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer (1) what special hotel arrangements are made and at what rates for civil servants who are attending official conferences abroad;

(2) what daily allowances of money is permitted to junior Ministers and senior civil servants when they go abroad on official business; and if such allowances are intended to cover all travelling expenses.

Sir S. Cripps

Ministers and senior civil servants travelling abroad on official business, are given a daily subsistence allowance at rates which vary with the country and have regard to local prices. They are adjusted from time to time in accordance with fluctuations in such prices. They do not cover railway or other locomotion expenses which are paid for separately. In the case of official conferences abroad, hotel accommodation is often booked and paid for direct by Departments. In such cases a residual subsistence allowance is paid to cover expenses other than accommodation.