HC Deb 24 September 1948 vol 456 cc213-4W
Mr. Thornton-Kemsley

asked the Secretary of State for Scotland what consents have to be obtained and how many copies of plans have to be submitted, and to what scale, before an owner can start work upon the reconditioning of agricultural cottages.

Mr. Woodburn

Consent to the reconditioning of agricultural cottages is normally required under the Planning Act and Building By-laws, and if the cost of the work exceeds £100, a building licence must also be obtained. If the work increases the size of the building by more than 10 per cent. or 1,750 cubic feet, whichever is greater, an application has to be made to the Central Land Board for determination of development charge. Applications for planning and by-law consent and determination of development charge may be made on one composite form and submitted to the local planning authority along with two or three copies of the site and building plans on scales varying according to the circumstances of the local planning authorities' areas.