HC Deb 10 May 1948 vol 450 cc176-7W
Mr. Asterley Jones

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department in what circumstances police officers who have retired are required to forego the whole or any part of their pension upon entering into other remunerative employment.

Mr. Ede

In general police pensioners are not required to surrender any part of their pension on taking up other remunerative employment, but a police pension may be suspended in whole or in part at the discretion of the police authority paying the pension when the pensioner takes service in any police force other than in a temporary capacity. Police pensions are also subject to forfeiture under Section 4 of the Police Pensions Act, 1948, which gives discretion to the police authority to forfeit a police pension in whole or in part (1) if the pensioner, having been given reasonable previous warning, enters into or carries on any business, occupation or employment which is illegal or in which he has made use of the fact of former employment in a police force in a manner which is discreditable or improper or (2) enters into or continues in any business, occupation or employment as a private detective after the police authority have given him notice in writing requiring him on any reasonable grounds not to do so.

Forward to