HC Deb 01 July 1948 vol 452 cc238-9W
83. Mr. Sharp

asked the Minister of Fuel and Power what is the procedure whereby civil servants who use their private motor cars for official business may obtain petrol for that purpose in addition to their basic ration; whether this privilege will be extended to other classes of the community, including local government officials; and why this concession was granted to civil servants.

Mr. Robens

As foreshadowed in my right hon. Friend's reply to the hon. Member for Shrewsbury (Mr. Langford-Holt) on 17th June, the procedure in the case of the Civil Service will be similar to that applied in the case of certain large business firms, local authorities and other bodies which receive bulk allowances of petrol. In these cases the amount of the standard ration in respect of each car covered by the application is deducted by the regional petroleum officer from the bulk allowance and it is left to the firm or other body to make such arrangements as it can with the individual motorists about the use of their standard ration. This principle will now be applied to the Civil Service. Each Department will have an allowance of petrol from which will be deducted the amount of the standard ration represented by every car regularly used on the work of the Department.