HC Deb 06 November 1947 vol 443 c247W
Mr. Wilkes

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department what procedure has been devised to enable former members of the British Forces in Austria to obtain permission for Austrian women, of whose children they are the fathers, to enter the United Kingdom in order that they may marry.

Mr. Ede

A British subject ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom who wishes to arrange for his Austrian fiancee to come here from Austria to marry him should advise her to apply to the British Passport Control Officer in Vienna for a visa for the journey. It will save time, if he sends her also a letter giving his nationality and full personal particulars, stating where he is ordinarily resident and whether he is free to marry and intends to marry her as soon as she arrives. Corroborative evidence that he is free to marry should if possible toe enclosed in the form of a letter from a clergyman or other responsible person to whom he is well known.