§ Mr. Parker
asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer the terms of reference and Membership of the standing Inter-Departmental Committee on Social and Economic Research which has been set up following the Report of the Clapham Committee.
§ Mr. Dalton
Yes, Sir. The Committee will survey and advise upon research work in Government Departments, and in particular (a) will bring to the notice of Departments the potential value for research 5W purposes of the material which they collect and will suggest new methods and areas of collection; and (b) will advise on how there could be made available to research workers information gathered for their own purposes by the Departments which has potential value as material for research.
The members are:
- George North, M.L., LL.D., General Register Office (Chairman).
- Sir A. Carr-Saunders, LL.D., Director of the London School of Economics.
- D. N. Chester, Nuffield College.
- G. A. Clark, M.D., Ministry of Health
- K. G. Fenelon, Ph.D., Ministry of Food.
- J. H. Kirk, Ministry of Agriculture.
- J. G. Kyd, C.B.E., Registrar-General for Scotland.
- G. R. Maddex, Government Actuary.
- J. E. Meade, Economic Section Cabinet Office.
- A Patterson, Ministry of National Insurance.
- W B. Reddaway, Board of Trade.
- A Reeder, O.B.E., Ministry of Labour.
- Professor T. S. Simey, Professor of Social Science, Liverpool University.
- J. Stafford, Central Statistical Office.
- J. R. N. Stone, C.B.E., Director of the Department of Applied Economics, Cambridge University.
- The Secretary of the Committee is L. M. Furry, North-East Wing, Somerset House W.C.2.