HC Deb 18 February 1947 vol 433 cc163-4W
Mr. Sharp

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department what action must be taken by the British demobilised soldier who wishes to bring his German fiancee to this country; and why the Passport Control Officer for Germany at Berlin now requires, in addition to a statement from a local person of standing that the ex-Serviceman is free to marry and in a position to support his wife, a letter for his fiancee stating that he will marry her within six weeks of her arrival in this country, a statement on oath that he is free to marry and a copy of his birth certificate.

Mr. Ede

The recognised procedure for a British subject ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom who wishes to arrange for his German fiancee to come here from Germany to marry him is for him to advise her to apply to the British Pass-port Control Officer in Berlin for a visa for the journey. It will save time if he sends her also a letter giving his nationality and full personal particulars, stating where he is ordinarily resident and whether he is free to marry and intends to marry her as soon as she arrives. Corroborative evidence that he is free to marry should if possible be enclosed in the form of a letter from a clergyman or other responsible person to whom he is well known. I understand that the Passport Control Officer, Berlin, has recently found it advisable to take special precautions in dealing with such applications because a number were supported by statements which proved to be false. I am communicating with him about the particular case which my hon. Friend has been good enough to bring to my notice.