HC Deb 10 October 1946 vol 427 c83W
15. Sir J. Lucas

asked the Minister of Pensions if civilian internees who have suffered permanent disability from their internment by the Japanese have the right to an appeal to an independent tribunal such as is available to all ex-Servicemen; and, if not, if he will take steps to remedy this discrimination.

Mr. Wilfred Paling

It was decided that my Department should makeex gratia awards of compensation to persons whose health was, substantially impaired as a result of internment in enemy countries. Having regard to the basis on which compensation is granted, the introduction of a formal right of appeal would be inappropriate. It would, moreover, involve the promulgation of a precisely denned scheme which might well be more limited in its results than the present ex gratia basis.

Forward to