§ 67. Lieut.-Colonel Sharp
asked the Minister of Food whether the Milk Distribution Working Party has yet submitted recommendations to him; and what action he proposes to take to ensure the efficient delivery of clean milk to the consumer.
§ Mr. Strachey
I have not yet announced the composition or terms of reference of the Committee on Milk Distribution, which has not yet begun its sittings. So I am afraid we cannot expect its recommendations just yet. The Chairman of the Committee will be Major-General Williams, C.B., C.B.E., Director of Freight Movement, War Office. The other members will be:
- Mr. F. W. Charles, F.C.A.. C.B.E., Partner of the firm of Peat, Marwick Mitchell & Co Chartered Accountants.
- Miss R. Cohen, M.A., Director of Studies, Newnham College, Cambridge.
- Mr. A. Sainsbury, Director and Joint General Manager of the firm of J. Sainsbury, Ltd.
- Mr. G. Wansbrough, M.A., Director of the Bank of England.
- Mr. H. Weeks, C.M.G., of Cadbury Bros., Ltd.
The terms of reference of the Committee will be:To examine the distribution of liquid milk from the point at which it leaves the farm to the point at which it is received by the consumer or the maufacturer and to advise on any changes which are necessary to ensure that clean, safe milk is delivered as efficiently and cheaply as possible.