HC Deb 21 November 1946 vol 430 c143W
31. Mr. Baird

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department what is the procedure for the re-entry into this country of Italian ex-prisoners of war who wish to marry English girls.

Mr. Ede

An Italian ex-prisoner of war, like any other foreigner who wishes to travel to this country, should first apply to the British Passport Control Officer abroad or to the nearest British Consul, for the grant of a visa. This is no guarantee that leave to land in the United Kingdom will be granted, but merely indicates that the British representative abroad is not aware of any reason why leave to land should be refused. I cannot, however, hold out any expectation that a visa or leave to land would be granted to an Italian ex-prisoner of war, wishing to come here for marriage unless it is clear that only a short visit is intended and that the applicant will not seek to stop here.