HC Deb 07 June 1946 vol 423 cc387-8W
Mr. Byers

asked the President of the Board of Trade if he will specify the occupations for the pursuit of which it is necessary to have a licence from his Department.

Mr. Belcher

Licensing arrangements vary in detail from industry to industry and are subject in many cases to qualifications and exemptions. Subject to this, licences are generally necessary, so far as the Board of Trade are concerned, for the production of the following goods:

Braces, china clay, corsets, some classes of cutlery, domestic glassware, fertilisers, fishnets, floor coverings, footwear, fountain pens, furniture, furs, gem diamonds, gloves, hollow-ware and kitchen hardware, hosiery, lace, mechanical lighters, musical instruments, pencils (non-utility types), perambulators, pottery, sports goods, toys and indoor games, toilet preparations, umbrellas, miscellaneous goods covered by the Miscellaneous Goods (Prohibition of Manufacture and Supply) (No. 7) Order, 1945, S.R. & O. 1945, No. 1176, miscellaneous textiles covered by the Miscellaneous Textiles (Manufacture and Supply) Directions 1942, S.R. & O. 1942 No. 1151 and S.R. & O. 1944 No. 160.

Licences are also necessary to engage in textile spinning weaving and finishing, to acquire or supply cinematograph film and to deal in waste paper-making materials and curled hair. In addition anyone wishing to acquire controlled materials for the pursuit of an occupation may need a licence to acquire or use those materials. Licensing arrangements may in some cases affect the way in which an occupation can be pursued, e.g. a wholesaler may not in general without a licence act as a " second wholesaler " of price controlled goods, nor may an auctioneer sell by auction without a licence any goods to which the Sales by Auction and Tender (Control) Order, 1944, as amended applies.