HC Deb 07 June 1946 vol 423 cc396-7W
Mr. Battley

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether he will arrange for those in search of missing relatives, especially those required for desertion or maintenance of family, to have the active assistance of his Department in tracing such relatives, without their having recourse, through the plea of destitution, to the local social welfare authorities.

Mr. Ede

I could only give effect to my hon. Friend's suggestion by requesting the assistance of the police. The question whether such inquiries are a function which the police can properly be asked to perform will depend upon the circumstances of the particular case.

Forward to