HC Deb 17 December 1946 vol 431 c370W
144. Sir H. Lucas-Tooth

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department what arrangements are available to enable demobilised officers and men to marry German girls to whom they became engaged while serving in Germany.

Mr. Oliver

There is a recognised procedure for this purpose. A British subject ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom who wishes to arrange for his German fiancee to come here from Germany to marry him should advise her to apply to the British Passport Control Officer in Berlin for a visa for the journey. It will save time if he sends her also a letter giving his nationality and full personal particulars, stating where he is ordinarily resident and whether he is free to marry and intends to many her as soon as she arrives. Corroborative evidence that he is free to marry should if possible be enclosed in the form of a letter from a clergyman or other responsible person to whom he is well known. If a visa is granted, the fiancee will be advised as to means of transport.