HC Deb 29 May 1945 vol 411 c70W
Sir J. Lucas

asked the Secretary of State for War if compensation is paid for personal effects left by prisoners of war or civilian internees when being evacuated from enemy territory, and to whom application should be made.

Sir J. Grigg

As regards Army officers and men such compensation is payable for a limited range of personal possessions which are necessary for service purposes. Returning prisoners are told at reception camps how they should apply, but claims can be addressed to the War Office. Service kit is, of course, replaced either directly or by means of a cash payment.