§ Mr. Mander
asked the Secretary to the Overseas Trade Department if he will give the names and business connections of the Overseas Trade Development Council; and what are its general terms of reference.
§ Mr. Johnstone
The Council, which gave valuable assistance to my predecessors up to the outbreak of war, has been 1067W reformed and will meet regularly under my chairmanship. It is to study methods of export trade promotion and the nature and extent of Government support, more especially through my Department, to the development of our export trade.
The following are the names of the business members of the Council:
- Mr. A. J. Boyd (Managing Director, Metropolitan-Cammell Carriage & Wagon Co., Ltd., etc.).
- Mr. A. D. Campbell, C.B.E. (Director, Forbes, Campbell & Co., Ltd., Geo. & R. Dewhurst, Ltd., etc.).
- Mr. F. B. Duncan (Director, Gramophone Co., Ltd., Columbia Graphophone Co., Ltd., Marconiphone Co., Ltd.).
- The Rt. Hon. Lord Glenconner (Chairman, C. Tennant, Sons & Co., Ltd., Power Investment Corporation, Ltd., Director, Hambros Bank, Ltd., etc.).
- Lieut.-Colonel F. M. G. Glyn (Deputy-Chairman, Bank of London & South America, Ltd., Director, Royal Bank of Scotland, etc., Member, Advisory Council, Export Credits Guarantee Department).
- Mr. A. R. Guinness (of Guinness, Mahon & Co., Ltd., Chairman, London Electrical & General Trust, Ltd., etc.).
- Mr. E. H. Lever, F.I.A. (Chairman, Richard Thomas & Co., Ltd., etc.).
- Mr. C. F. Merriam (Chairman and Managing Director, Halex Ltd., Chairman, British Xylonite Co., Ltd., B.X. Plastics, Ltd., etc.).
- Mr. W. Thow Munro, C.B.E. (Director, Munro & Co., Ltd., Edinburgh).
- Sir John Nicholson (Deputy-Chairman, Imperial Chemical Industries, Ltd., etc.).
- Mr. G. W. Odey (Chairman and Managing Director, Barrow, Hepburn & Gale, Ltd., etc.).
- Sir Harry Railing (Chairman and Joint Managing Director, General Electric Co., Ltd., President, Institution of Electrical Engineers, Chairman, British Electrical & Allied Manufacturers' Association, etc.).
- Sir Eugene Ramsden, Bart., O.B.E., J.P., M.P. (Member of Parliament for Bradford, North; Chairman, A. & S. Henry & Co., Ltd., etc.).
- The Rt. Hon. Lord Riverdale of Sheffield, G.B.E., LL.D., J.P. (Chairman and Managing Director, Arthur Balfour & Co., Ltd., past President, Association of British Chambers of Commerce, etc.).
- Sir William Rootes, K.B.E. (Chairman, Rootes Securities, Ltd., Commer Cars, Ltd., Hillman Motor Car Co., Ltd., Humber Ltd., etc.).
- The Hon. Josiah Wedgwood (Managing Director, Josiah Wedgwood & Sons, Ltd., Director, Bank of England).